London marathon 2018 for Weldmar

On 22 April I will be running the London marathon in memory of a friend and raising money for Weldmar hospicecare in the process.

In recent times marathon running has become more accessible and as a result it has become more commonplace. People will raise an eyebrow if you tell them what you are doing, but not really understand the lengthy commitment that this requires.
For me the commitment is two-fold; fundraising for a dearly loved friend and being able to maintain the strict training schedule through the dark winter months.
I'm not a marathon runner. I don't like road running and I hate large cities. There is however a draw to the race. I've applied to the ballot for several years and never secured a place. I now have a Gold bond place courtesy of Weldmar hospicecare.
I started competitive running at 13 years old and soon made my mark on the 100m, 200m sprint and 4 x 100m relay. I met the athlete Roger Black and became obsessed with running and athletics.
At 14 years I joined my first club, Weymouth St Paul's Harriers having secured the fastest 100m female sprint at school.  I was trained by Peter Clarke (aka Speedy), who 33 years on remains a really positive role model (running marathons in his 70s).


After a break of 15 years and two children I started running again to get back in shape. Progress was slow. My school friend Liz and I ran about 1.5 miles on the flat a couple of times a week; building up over the months.
I entered a Race for Life 5k, then another. Soon I was running most days in the week and decided to try a 10k.
Another child and severe medical complications briefly stopped my progress but I got back to fitness and within a year was running more than ever.
My neighbour and friend Lyn who had been having periods on ill health asked to run with me too and we did some runs on a flat course down by the sea front. She was determined to do it and while it was evident she struggled, she was always fighting, always smiling and always positive.


As my running ambitions increased, my friend Lyn's support never faultered.  She told me that I knew how to live life to the full and she always encouraged me as I gained each new medal.  She understood that running was the one thing that had always made me happy.
Friends by their very definition are the people who help you when you need them most.
My father died very suddenly in tragic circumstances and I became a single Mother and Lyn was there just when I needed her, even though she was travelling back and forth to London for her Cancer treatment.
She remained focused and positive and I don't think many people even knew she was ill.

As the summer moved on she became very poorly and while determined to be independent I did pop in on her each day to offer a practical hand.  That's when Weldmar began helping her too. She mentioned they were coming round to see her regularly.
After a brief period in hospital she was transferred to Weldmar hospice. Just before I was due to run my first ever half marathon in Bournemouth she phoned me. We had a long chat; she was pleased to be at Weldmar and glad they were helping her. She told me she loved me and I said the same.
I ran that half marathon for her and she passed away two days afterwards. Her 20 year battle at an end.
A year later I ran the first ever Weymouth half marathon in her memory and recorded a PB of 1hr 52 mins. I raised funds for Weldmar and blubbed most of the way round. Partly from the cold and partly because she wasn't there to see it.

So that leads to my next challenge.
Lyn is most definitely a key reason I am running the London marathon in 2018.
She showed me how important it was to keep going no matter what and I'm sure that will be a great motivator on those 26.2 milesalong with the crowds.

If you are able to sponsor this really worthwhile charity, I would be very grateful for your support.

Www.justgiving.com/weldmar2018
Thank you 😊


Comments